pushd/popd as ksh functions: possible in unix pc ksh?

Kris A. Kugel kak at hico2.UUCP
Fri Jan 4 05:31:51 AEST 1991

In article <37339 at cup.portal.com>, thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
# afc at shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano)
# in <1990Dec28.054110.13613 at shibaya.lonestar.org> writes:
# . . .
# # Alternatively, is a newer version of ksh available for the unix pc?
# # (without paying the toolchest prices, that is...)
#
# The version that accompanied the UNIXPC and which accompanied the "fixdisks"
# is a brain-damaged version; the version from The STORE (at osu-cis) is the
# 1986 version for which most things in "The KORN Shell" book will work unless
# EXPLICITLY stated otherwise.

I'm running the 1.2 shell, and I've got a functioning pushd that looks like
it has the same ultimate source as the one in the KORN shell book.
I've forwarded it to Augustine Cano, maybe we'll get a followup report.

#
# The "stock" ksh for the UNIXPC has a version something like "1.2 ..." (don't
# know for sure and cannot find out since I deleted it), and the "STORE" version
# will display "Version 06/03/86" which IS a fairly recent and decent version.
#
# Since I checked AT&T's "Toolchest" recently (re: curses), I found the source
# price of the latest ksh to be $3,000.  Ouch.
# . . .
# Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

There's evidently a P D version of the Korn Shell posted recently;
I've seen some "bug reports" for it posted.  Sadly, I don't have it.
And I don't know how good it is.  But it's SOMETHING.

                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
          { uunet | rutgers | att }!westmark!hico2!kak
                         {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak
                         internet: kak at hico2.westmark.com