3b1 Disassembly, 2nd Attempt

Paul Herzog ampah at swpyr2.sbc.com
Sat Jan 12 08:38:33 AEST 1991

Below is an excerpt from a recent repost of instructions for getting into
the case of a 3B1 or 7300.  They are, IMHO, excellent and I very much
appreciate the time and effort expended by the author.

In article <37646 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>michael at yonder.UUCP (Michael E. Haws) in <422 at yonder.UUCP> writes:
>
>7. Remove the top, plastic part of the case. This is easier said than done.
>   There are two or three rachet hooks in the plastic of the case at the very
>   front of the machine. These latch into the sheet metal base where you can't
>   see. It takes two hands to lift up on the case, and two hands to pry the two
>   or three rachets ALL at the same time. If you get the rachets loose, don't
>   let the case fall back down or they will click back in. At this point the
>   back of the case will already be loose. No, you can't just lift the back up
>   far enough, there's wires still connected. Once the rachets are loose, lift
>   the platic case, monitor and all straight up about 4 inches. Be surprised at
>   how much that *#&@$ monitor weighs. Tilt the whole mess straight back so
>   that the monitor is laying on it's back, screen up. You will have to lay it
>   down quiet close to the back of the machine because there is a video cable
>   and three power wires still connected. Go ahead, scream and yell, that was a
>   bitch to do.

One "trick" I have used with respect to the above step;

	Lay the entire machine flat back onto the table,
	i.e., so the aluminum chasis (still in the case) is
	vertical.  Then gently pry up the front plastic (both
	sides and middle).  As you do so, the weight of the chasis
	will hold it forward released from the clips.  The top of
	the chasis will then fall free and then you can gently
	lift the chasis from the bottom and lower it to the table.

Obviously, one does not want to pull the chasis forward too far as
wires, etc. can be easily strained.  But this sure works a heck of a lot
better for me.  At least I haven't yet hurt anything and haven't
discovered any reasons why I might have had a close miss on trouble.

Paul Herzog			VOICE   : 314-235-8025
One Bell Center RM 30F7		UUCP    : uunet!swbatl!swpyr2!ampah
Southwestern Bell		INTERNET: ampah at swpyr2.sbc.com
St. Louis, MO 63050