OBM connection problems solved.

Bruce Lilly bruce at balilly.UUCP
Sun Jan 6 01:24:40 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan3.175725.4228 at yenta.alb.nm.us> dt at yenta.alb.nm.us (David B. Thomas) writes:

>Anybody ever manage to get the OBM to call a telebit with uucp?

Sure, I used to call 3 systems, all with Telebits.  Now for the bad news;
I had no problems with two of the systems, using high-end Telebits, but
one system had an older Telebit which had the bit-shaving problem.  I
could only communicate successfully with that system at 300 baud.  Due to
hardware constraints on that system, its Telebit modem was operated w/o
flow control, with the interface speed locked. I believe one or both of
those conditions is when the bit-shaving problem shows up.

I used HDB uucp at the time (still do).

I'm now using an external, pain-in-the-butt, quasi-modem (ROLM 244PC, made
by Int'l BM) on the system with those 3 connections, so I haven't used the
OBM to talk to Telebits in the last 2 1/2 months.

IMEO, the problem is the Telebit bit-shaving, which violates the timing
constraints for asynchronous serial communications.
--
	Bruce Lilly		blilly!balilly!bruce at sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM