BBS System for 3B2

Charlie Lear clear at cavebbs.gen.nz
Wed Jan 16 14:10:30 AEST 1991

System: 3B2/400, 4MB, 2x72MB CDCs, 2xPORTS and 1xTAPE, SysV 3.2

David Dix's BBS system KCBBS, written originally for SCO-Xenix 386 and
ported to Esix, has now almost completely been ported to the 3B2 by
Conrad Bullock. We're in the final stages of implementation now and have
been "live" for two weeks. The users like it a lot.

The BBS features local messaging, files (with zmodem etc), Usenet reader
and a Fidonet gateway. A big feature is the inter-node conferencing.
We have four lines coming in plus two terminals.

I have David's permission to release the source to a limited number of sites.
I would prefer to get most/all of the bugs out and write some system
documentation first.

If you are interested in getting hold of this software and are able to use
it and develop it, please email me and we'll see what we can come up with.
Indicate whether you are able to install it without a lot of handholding.

One hassle (no doubt Conrad will ask for help soon) is that the bbs logins
are reasonably cpu hungry as we are unable to access the standard rdchk
command. Our docs are 3.0 and don't mention it. Does 3.2 have it under a
different name? Has someone written an efficient emulator? We have heard
that a rumoured 3.2.3 is around and has it, plus other "highly desirables".

Regards
Charlie.

PS Ken! My email didn't bounce - hope you got it. Robb! My email bounced.
Do you have a user login at oneb? Email me and tell me about your Xmas!