The KORN SHELL

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sun Jan 13 20:01:38 AEST 1991

wwm at wa8tzg.mi.org (Bill Meahan) in <1991Jan12.220430.1078 at wa8tzg.mi.org>
writes:

+ >I'm the one who claimed it's braindamaged, and it is (even the version that
+ >accompanied the FIXDISK2).  I posted the original details years ago and
+ >cannot quickly find them, but among the problems were incorrect evaluation
+ >of arithmetic expressions and some others ...
+ >
+ >The version you WANT (and which, interestingly, has the fixes that were made
+ >to the FIXDISK2 ksh) is the one from osu-cis in the att7300/STORE directory
+ >which is version "06/03/86".  You could use "strings" to ascertain the versi
on
+ >but the easiest is to be in emacs mode and type a ^V (control-V).
+ >
+ >Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com ]
+
+ Does this mean that I should get the version from the STORE even if I have
+ FIXDISK2 ??  [Thad, you're not quite clear]

Yes, you want the "STORE" version of ksh.  That version works with the stuff
documented in "THE KORN SHELL" book; the version on FIXDISK2 does NOT work.

+ Has anyone ported ksh88e to the 3b1?  [and is it legal to snarf the ksh88e
+ sources on OSU ??]

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!  If that's on osu-cis, someone's gonna be in deep doo-doo.

ksh88e is a COMMERCIAL PRODUCT of AT&T and costs $3,000 for source and some
$10,000 for binary (you figure WHY binary costs more than source! :-)

Are you SURE you're not referring to the "PD ksh" clone that recently was
posted to alt.sources?

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com ]