Brownouts, shorts, explosions and the unix pc.

Augustine Cano afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
Thu Jan 10 10:00:29 AEST 1991

In article <134 at limbic.ssdl.com> gil at limbic.ssdl.com (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>In article <1991Jan5.045917.7018 at shibaya.lonestar.org> afc at shibaya.lonestar.org (Augustine Cano) writes:
>[good luck in faring through a nasty brownout activity]
>>No damage occurred in either instance, possibly thanks to the very old
>>surge suppressor I have protecting the computer...
>
>The surge suppressor would not help protect you against brownouts, although
>it might help against any kind of surges resulting from power being
>restored in an indeterminent manner.  Those surge suppressors are generally

Yes, of course.  Obviously the brownout resistance rests exclusively with
the unix pc power supply and the reserve power accumulated in the caps.
The high pitch noise that occurred during the brownout periods probably
just means that the switching circuits had to work extra hard to maintain
the output voltage.  Any power supply experts out there care to explain in
detail this phenomenon?

Augustine Cano		INTERNET: afc at shibaya.lonestar.org
			UUCP:     ...!{ernest,egsner}!shibaya!afc