Possible Phoenix Story of 3B1

Daryl Biberdorf n177ac at tamuts.tamu.edu
Mon Jan 21 09:49:21 AEST 1991

The Amiga 3000UX is supposed to list for about $4995.  This will
include between 4 and 8 MB of RAM (forgot exactly), 100 MB hard disk,
monitor, and SVR4.  I can't imagine educational pricing being below
$3600 for this machine (probably closer to $4000...they *do* have
to make a profit, remember...and that AT&T license wasn't cheap).

In any event, $3600 still doesn't touch the $900 I paid for my
2x40 3B1 with development kit last May.  Granted, this machine isn't
going to suck the markings off the 3000's chips, but it's quick
enough.  And for 25% of the price (and that's for EVERYONE...not
just students and faculty), it's not a bad deal.  The smaller scale
of the UNIX on this machine also makes it attractive...I don't NEED
100 MB of disk to have a useable machine.  I'd bet that 100 MB for the
3000UX will prove to be pretty minimal...you'll probably want more.

Just trying to keep things in perspective.  $5k is cheap, but it'st still
a lot more than what  I gave for this box.

--Daryl Biberdorf,  n177ac at tamuts.tamu.edu
"3B1 owner, Amiga user, allergy sufferer"