3B2 Info

Mark Measures measures at evax.arl.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 31 11:09:39 AEST 1991

I went to Uniforum in Dallas last week and got some information readers
of this group might be interested in.  In talking to an AT&T
representative about SysVr4 for the 3B2, she told me:

  1) There is a new machine that will be announced in April (I think)
     that will replace the 3B2 line.  It's a RISC machine and will be
     shipped with SysVr4.

  2) There is no schedule for delivery of SysVr4 for existing 3B2s.

I checked with an AT&T source about the second point and he confirmed
that SysVr4 is in controlled introduction now, only for developers.
There is a general release of SysVr4 for existing 3B2s, but he has no
date on that.

Anyway, it looks as if the 3B2 is about to go the way of the 3B15, et.
al.  I have a 3B2/700 and am disappointed about this.  Also, I was under
the impression at last year's u3g meeting that SysVr4 would be available
for existing 3B2s by the end of 1990.  Now it looks as if another year
will slip by.

By the way, the AT&T 486 machine was prominently displayed at Uniforum.
It will apparently be their primary porting base in the future.

If anyone knows more about this or has better information, please let me
know.

Mark Measures
measures at evax.uta.edu