Problems with diagnostic disk (was: 3B1 hard disk gone south?)

Kris A. Kugel kak at hico2.UUCP
Mon Jan 14 11:56:10 AEST 1991

This is getting bizzare.

In article <725 at hico2.UUCP>, I (kak at hico2.westmark.com)
> In article <671 at hico2.UUCP>, I (kak at hico2.westmark.com) write:
> > In article <649 at hico2.UUCP>, I (kak at hico2.westmark.com) write:

> > Now, the diagnostic disk won't boot EITHER.
> > I have no idea what would cause a progressive failure like this.
> The machine is still interacting with the floppy, if I open the
> latch, the generation of the squares stops.

One suggestion I got was that the diagnostic floppy could have
have been trashed, and suggested I test this with booting off
Foundation set #3.  (thanks to Peter Schmit) Well, this disk booted!.
So I grapped the s4 diagnostics and Thad's install script.  I
created a new, bootable diagnostic floppy.  THAT won't boot.
(it, and the munged diagnostic both boot on hico2,
 and while the bad diagnostic disk won't load properly
 on hico2, NOTHING works right with either disk on ailing hico3.)

I'm wondering what I did wrong, what's different about the
diagnostics disks (and hico3) that they won't boot in hico3,
but Foundation set #3 will?
                               Kris A. Kugel
                             ( 908 ) 842-2707
          { uunet | rutgers | att }!westmark!hico2!kak
                         {daver,ditka,zorch}!hico2!kak
                         internet: kak at hico2.westmark.com