Brownouts, shorts, explosions and the unix pc.

gilbert.m.stewart gmark at cbnewse.att.com
Tue Jan 15 17:01:15 AEST 1991

In article <38023 at cup.portal.com>, thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
> dwn at swbatl.sbc.com (David Neill-OKCy Mktg 405-278-4007)
> in <1991Jan12.155433.11110 at swbatl.sbc.com> writes:
> 	Anyway, before bringing it back up (with new power supply), I
> 	got a commercial power relay (16 amps!), and wired the power to
> 	the relay coil through the contacts of the relay.  This way,
> 	when the power drops once, the relay contacts open, and no more

> 	I call this thing a "power interrupt safety switch", and am thinking
> 	of marketing it... "Commercial power problems?  PISS on it" :-) A UPS
> 	would be ideal, but somehow, there's always a higher priority for my
> 	limited funds.
>
> An excellent idea (the relay wired that way)!  And your marketing slogan is
> GREAT!

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I posted this a couple years ago (?) and
was told by a very helpful individual (I have the name saved somewhere, so
don't let my lack of memory diminish the great help) that Radio Shack had
a power strip/spike protector/power controller with exactly what I
proposed.  I bought one.  It works GREAT!  Maybe you could sell something
cheaper, 'cause the combination was $59.95 or thereabouts.

You could be depressed, but then again, let me tell you about the dozen or so
other things I've thought of that I was beat to the punch on.

HOWEVER, your slogan, I agree, is GREAT.  Now, if RatShack needs a
copywriter...!

GMS