Possible Phoenix Story of 3B1

David S. Herron david at twg.com
Thu Jan 24 10:48:02 AEST 1991

It is not true that the Unix C= is (or will soon be) selling is
derived from the Unix-PC version of Unix.  But this rumor does have
a small basis in fact ..

Namely that Mark Ditto (the guy doing/developing "Amix") happens
to be a classy guy who likes "adb".  Now, AT&T is a less classy
organization and (for some weirdo reason) threw away adb in favor
of "sdb".  Probably has a lot to do with the quiche-eaters they
have working at Summit (now USL) who don't hack Assembly language
anymore.  So he somehow arranged for C= to get a source liscense
for the Unix-PC OS so that he could have an "adb" which understood
the motorola 68k assembly language.  (This was back when Unix-PC
source liscenses were hard to come by).  I don't think he brought
over any other things ...

er..  take that with a brooooad grin & a block of salt.  *please*! :-)

The part which I know for *SURE* is that they got a copy of
Unix-PC/Unix so that Mark could have "adb".  He said as much at
the Unix PC BOF at Usenix a couplea years ago.

The only real "phoenix story" for 3B1's is that you can still run
3B1 binaries on current Convergent Technology machines ...

> The upshot is that there are some very affordable unix
> configurations out there.  The C-A 3000 bears looking at.  Also the
> Apple Macintosh SI, once the A/UX 2.1 release supporting the LC
> becomes available, is a possiblity.

Almost agreed.  A/UX v2.1 is still a hacked up SysVr2.x isn't it?
Do you have any idea how ***OLD*** r2.x is?

	Have fun,

		David

--
<- David Herron, an MMDF & WIN/MHS guy, <david at twg.com>