microwaved people (was Brownouts, shorts, ...)

Clarence Dold dold at mitisft.Convergent.COM
Sat Jan 12 12:23:20 AEST 1991

in article <37881 at cup.portal.com>, thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) says:

> "rumored" to have occured either at Ft. Bliss TX (Air Defense School) or at
> White Sands Missile Range circa late '50s or early '60s: a soldier took a
> shortcut through the "beam" in a multi-megawatt RADAR installation and keeled
> over, and it wasn't apparent what happened until after the autopsy: certain
> internal organs were cooked.  This incident is "rumored" to have been the

I worked on Heavy ground Radar in the Air Force, with pulses transmitted
at ~ 5 MegaWatts.  While on the roof of one of the buildings, I heard a
bzzt-bzzt-bzzt that would repeat occasionally.  After a minute or two, I
realized it was the cyclone fence rattling from the radar emissions of a
radar set about 75 feet away.  We were supposed to be in a 'blanked' area
of the radar set, but obviously we weren't.  I have no known side effects
from this exposure ( although I am losing my hair now, 20 years later ).

When the radar was dismantled in 1976, we found flies inside the waveguide.
They were dead, but I imagine they starved.  They didn't look burned,
even after 20 years of fairly constant high level radar exposure.
	Hmm, a 20 year old fly carcass?  Never thought about that before.
--
---
Clarence A Dold - dold at tsmiti.Convergent.COM            (408) 435-5293