BIND breaks inetd/rlogin

paul at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu paul at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 13 07:51:00 AEST 1988

Given the following configuration:

90x, OSX4.0, NSP

After installing BIND 4.8 we've encountered a strange interaction between
inetd and named.  If named is activated first (and the /etc/nameserver file
created) followed later by inetd in /etc/rc.local, rlogin breaks.  Specifically
a user will get the last login message then a connection closed.  If inetd
is activated first so it uses the /etc/hosts file, everything is fine.

A similar situation arose once before when the loghost entry was omitted
from the localhost entry in /etc/hosts.  Our named has a CNAME record
for loghost that resolves to localhost.

Suggestions and hints are welcome.

         Paul Pomes

UUCP:     {ihnp4,uunet,convex}!uiucuxc!paul
Internet, BITNET, CSNET: paul at uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
US Mail:  UofIllinois, CSO, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, IL  61801