my wish list for OSx 5.0

Grant Kerr kerr at OODIS01.ARPA
Fri Apr 21 06:00:37 AEST 1989

Here is what I hope is fixed in OSx 5.0.

1. In 4.0 "who" and "last" would show the user's point of origin for network
login via telnet and rlogin.  In 4.4 it does not show up if the user is
using telnet.

2. In 4.0 the security feature LOG_TO_FILE showed the userid and
host address/name of failed login attempts from the network.
In 4.4 the security feature LOG_TO_FILE shows only the port.
It does however show the host address/name if the failed login is via rlogin.

3. In 4.0 the login program would tell you if a person was not found in
/etc/u_universe and would tell you who it was.
In 4.4 the login program tells you someone was not found but does not tell
you who that person was.

4. Under 4.0 we used a telnet that let a users carriage return pass thru as
a carriage return.  Under 4.4 the carriage return the user types comes out as
a line feed.  We have reverted our old 4.0 telnetd.

5. Under 4.4 it is possible to have an eight bit getty and login.  However
if you run tset it forces the parity to even.

6. Under all versions of OSx that I have seen the htable program does not work
right.  It makes the hosts file ok, but the gateways file is always empty and
the network file lists all networks with the same network number.

7. Our 9820 has nearly 3000 lines in the /etc/passwd.  It can translate
some ~usernames to full paths just about as fast as vax 11/780s running
4.3BSD with the hashed password file can.

8. We needed password ageing so we switched to att getty/login/init.
The problem here is that the backspace does not work like it works
most other computers.  I wish that the backspace key could be made to work in
att or that the password ageing could be added to the ucb universe.

9. Shadow password file support would be helpful.

10. The whois program seems to look for a host called "sri-nic" this should
be updated to one of its domain names like nic.ddn.mil.

11. Support for the gated program.

grant kerr
(kerr at oodis01.arpa)