how to force a dump?

Karl Kleinpaste karl at triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu
Sat Apr 29 00:16:24 AEST 1989

The suggestions for building a kernel w/debugger and then hitting ^@
to get control of it thereby, followed by a `pa' command, are
fine...if the system is listening to the console.  We had some
problems with an early release of 4.4 where heavy network traffic
caused the system to lock up so tight that it ignored the console -
typing anything was rewarded with CPU BUSY in SSL #3, which usually
says nothing more exciting than CPU[0].  It was necessary during these
events to put the sort of operation which Chris Lott described to use.
It worked, fortunately, and we did get usable core dumps out of it.

The bugs causing the lockup were fixed months ago, of course.  We're
going to be upgrading several of our other 4.0 machines to 4.4 Real
Soon Now.

--Karl