dump/restore in OSx 4.4

Steve DeJarnett steve at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
Fri May 26 08:33:18 AEST 1989

	Can anyone in netland give any good reason why restore takes as
much as 4x longer to run than dump does on the same filesystem??

	Let me explain a little more clearly the problem.  We did a level 0
dump of a disk (all of the files) about 2 weeks before we lost it in a crash.
That dump took about 1 hour and 5 minutes to complete (Fuji Eagle -- f
partition).  After installing a new disk, formatting, and newfs-ing it, we
ran restore onto it.  The restore took over 4.0 hours to complete!!!  Maybe
I'm expecting way too much, but it seems to me (and I'm sure I'm missing some
of the details here) that dump and restore should be mostly the same program,
with the only difference being the reversing of the system calls (write
instead of read).  I know that it must create all of the directories in
restore, which will take quite a while, but 4x as long doesn't seem quite
right to me.  The restore ran on an unloaded machine (it was in single user
mode).  The dump also ran on an unloaded machine.

	Anyone have an explaination for this??  I haven't run similar tests
(thank God) on any of our other systems, so I don't know if this is par for
the course, or if it's extraordinary.

	Any comments??  Am I missing something glaringly obvious that easily
explains this???

	Thanks,

| Steve DeJarnett            | Smart Mailers -> steve at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU     |
| Computer Systems Lab       | Dumb Mailers  -> ..!ucbvax!voder!polyslo!steve |
| San Luis Obispo, CA  93407 | BITNET = Because Idiots Type NETwork           |