Can a filesystem be larger than its base partition?

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Thu Nov 16 15:30:15 AEST 1989

In article <308 at trux.UUCP> car at trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
>On the Pyramid (BSD), Can a file system cross partition boundaries?

Sure. Using the -s option to newfs. We go both ways -- making the filesystem
either larger or smaller than the standard size. It's very common to build a
90MB filesystem stradling the 'b' and 'c' partitions, for example, by making
a short filesystem starting from partition 'h.' We generally don't start with
'b' and make it larger, though, since people tend to assume that any parti-
tion called 'b' will be 30MB. At least if it's called 'h', you have a warning
that something strange is being done.

Be careful of doing this sortof thing on the 00 disk; OSx "knows" that 00b is
for swapping, and will try to use that space for swapping whether you tell it
to or not.

Of course, be sure to write down your oddsized partitions somewhere.

<csg>