XP systems?

Wendy Thrash wendyt at cs.washington.edu
Thu Nov 30 19:29:38 AEST 1989

In article <92827 at pyramid.pyramid.com> csg at pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>But a lot of people (including some of
>the compiler folks) weren't convinced they were that useful, and would have
>created binary incompatibility between the machines as well. When it appeared
>that release schedules might slip, work on the three operand instructions was
>quietly dropped.

Maybe I'm just getting senile in my old age, but my memory is that there
were some pretty good reasons not to be convinced.  We didn't just sit
around scratching ourselves and saying "Whaddaya think?  Useful?"  We knew
just about how much performance improvement you could get from the things,
and apparently somebody decided (quite rightly, I'd say) that (as Carl
suggests) they weren't worth the price of incompatability.