Can a filesystem be larger than its base partition?

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Wed Nov 29 18:10:10 AEST 1989

In article <309 at trux.UUCP> car at trux.UUCP (Chris Rende) writes:
>Are there any other gottcha's that OSx "knows" about?
>
>Does the ROOT partition have to be 00a?

It has to be 'a' on the boot disk. And 'b' on the boot disk will always be
for swapping. These are absolutely, positively wired into the kernel, and you
cannot do anything about it. (Unless you muck with the source, of course.)

Don't make your root partition larger; just move things off of it. The most
important of these is /tmp, which should be off on it's own partition if at
all possible. Do not use symbolic links to the growing files in /etc; there
are hidden pitfalls. :-(

Pyramid moved a lot of stuff off of the root disk and onto /usr; now /usr is
overcroweded. It really is getting these days so that you cannot run a UNIX
system with just one 400MB disk. (I still have a massive 1MB RAM and 65MB disk
on my PDP-11/73....)

<csg>