Size of root partition.

Karl Kleinpaste karl at giza.cis.ohio-state.edu
Wed Oct 4 12:48:14 AEST 1989

linda at cc.brunel.ac.uk writes:
   I notice that /etc is appx. 2MB bigger than in 4.0 which will take
   our standard root stuff up to about 17MB. This doesn't leave much room
   for manouvre.

Long ago, I began the (sometimes frowned-upon) habit of symlinking
/tmp into a "real" filesystem.  /tmp is needed so seldom during
single-user operations that I simply abandoned that tendency.

I also avoid keeping anything else of substantial size there.  My
nameserver zone stuff (close to 500Kbytes) looks like it's in
/etc/named.d, but that too is a symlink elsewhere.  (I keep 4 Pyramids
running essentially identical nameserver configurations, and having
them all believe in a generic /etc/named.d is very useful to me.)

My vestigial hosts file contains nothing but OSU hosts, and I don't
use mkhosts - that step is commented out of /etc/rc.local.

I regularly clean out things like Emacs backup files, and the
/etc/.*wtmp files aren't given much slack, either: I copy /dev/null
to them periodically.

You'll find that /usr is something of a challenge, too.  Symlinks to
the rescue again: /usr/.*man, /usr/PTF, /usr/sys, and /usr/crash are
all hiding on much larger filesystems with space to spare.  And make
sure you annihilate the SysV accounting stuff that shows up every day
at 4am.

--Karl