Paging parameters

Jonas Mellin jonas at his.UUCP
Tue Apr 10 18:05:13 AEST 1990

Hi.

I have noticed that our pyramid will not use all the memory available.
It starts paging then the memory is half full. It does very little
actual swapping.

The configuration is:

	Pyramid 9810
	OSx 4.0
	32MB Main memory
	1.5 GB Disc

I would like to make processes use more main memory before start
paging.

I found some parameters, which seems to be of interrest in this
particular case:

	lotsfree: amount if memory used before pagedaemon starts
	desfree:  before start swap
	minfree:  minimum tolerable amount of memory
	maxscanrate: page/second
	minslowscan

The three first seems to be the most interresting.

I do not have a complete manual over the systemparameters and
kernel configuration on the Pyramid.

I wonder if these numbers are per process or for the whole system?

Are there any other parameters which might be of interrest?

Are these parameters related to other parameters?

Disclaimer: Even a blind man may know how to C.
   /      /  /    /   /\  /    /      /| /|	|E-mail: jonas at his.se
  /      /--/	 /    \  /    /	     / |/ | 	|UUCP:   ...!sunic!his!jonas
 /      /  /	/    \/ / /  /      /     |	|Phone:  +46 500 77646
/______________________/  \_/ onas /      |ellin|Fax:    +46 500 16325
Snailmail: Jonas Mellin,Hogskolan i Skovde, Box 408, 541 28 Skovde, Sweden