TCP/UUCP log file question

Romain Kang romain at pyramid.pyramid.com
Fri Feb 2 10:23:02 AEST 1990

In article <2318 at texbell.swbt.com> news1 at texbell.UUCP (Greg Hackney) writes:
| /usr/spool/.attuucp/.Admin/xferstats:
| tness1!uucp M (2/1-2:00:26) (C,26402,1) [TCP] t<- 24340 / 3.800 secs, 6405 bytes/sec
| 						^
| Is the addition of this "t" indicator unique to Pyramid's port of uucico,
| or is it common to other vendors as well? (I'm have a program that
| parses that field, and want it to run on various brands of machines.)

It is unique to Pyramid.  Aesthetically speaking, it shouldn't be there,
but it was useful at the time the 't' and 'f' protocols were adapted from
their BSD origins to Honey Danber.  (Yes, you'll see "f<-" and "f->" if
you use UUCP over X.25.)  Standardized in OSx 5.1.

Actually, the stock System V HDB doesn't offer 'f' or 't'.  People with
Real Networks are supposed to use FTP, SMTP, and NNTP, aren't they?
--
Romain Kang, Pyramid Technology Corp, Mt View, CA

"You can always tell who the pioneers are.
They're the ones with the arrows in their backs."	-Mark Landry