Stupid but annoying question

Steve Jankowski [consign] booga at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU
Tue Feb 6 06:40:48 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb5.071220.22568 at sjuphil.uucp> wlyle at sjuphil.UUCP () writes:

>	This one goes under the heading stupid but annoying.  It has to with
>the command "chfn" and "finger" under the ucb environment.  Under the heading
>of office number, the format is ##C or ##E standing for Cory or Evans.  What
>does this mean???  Am I missing something but this seems rather restrictive? I
>guess I could live without it but if there was a way around the problem I
>would like to know.  If I just take it out the finger of my login goes a bit
>weird and is not worth it.

The finger information was "invented" at Berkeley where the only
important people have offices in the Cory and Evans buildings.

We have Berkeley source license so we're running a version of finger
that ignores Cory and Evans nonsense and lets us finger internet
sites.  I've also modified chfn to ignore the C and E.  The source
for these programs might be floating around somewhere (at the least,
the interneting finger should be)  Try the Berkeley Tahoe
release and uunet.

A quick hack is to put a bunch of spaces before the C or E on the
office line.  Finger will then cut off the building name before
it's visible.

booga

--
booga at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU        |V|   |)         Kiss a flower today.
                                 | |r  |)ooga
noogiejiganoogiejoobypoopercornholerbuggerjigabuggerjiga