Any compatibility issues between Pyramid systems?

Carl S. Gutekunst csg at pyramid.pyramid.com
Fri Mar 16 02:25:53 AEST 1990

In article <6707 at brspyr1.BRS.Com> tim at brspyr1.BRS.Com (Tim Northrup) writes:
>We develop all of our software on a 90x (and a rather oldish one at that);
>is there anything that we would generate on that box that would not work on
>any other Pyramid system (MIServer, 9040, etc.)?

There are no *problems* that I've ever heard of, but there are a few consider-
ations. OSx upgrades tend not to be downward compatible, meaning that an OSx
5.0 binary will not run on an OSx 4.0 system. But the reverse is usually no
problem, so long as it isn't a binary that requires intimate knowledge of the
kernel. I have OSx 2.5 binaries that work just fine, but an OSx 2.5 version of
ps(1) is not going to run on OSx 3.0, let alone 5.0. And since OSx 4.1, the
compilers have generated some opcodes that don't exist in machines without
data cache; so you cannot run OSx 4.1 on those machines. And *prior* to OSx
4.1, the compilers generated some opcodes that do not exist in the MIServer,
and are simulated by kernel traps (and hence, very slow).

<csg>