Makeing "Gated"

Robert Elz kre at cs.mu.oz.au
Sat Apr 13 19:11:51 AEST 1991

rbj at uunet.UU.NET (Root Boy Jim) writes:

>I don't believe that it was in the original 4.3. At least it's not
>documented in the manual sets that you get from Usenix (or us).

I didn't say I documented them ... I rarely document anything, the mem*()
functions were added to make it easier to port Sys V code to BSD, not
because anyone was expected to actually write new code using them.
I mean, who'd use strchr() if index() is available...

>Perhaps I wasn't explicit enuf. Sequent lets you mix and match.
>Pyramid, on the other hand, puts a reference to either

This part of my answer was mere speculation - I haven't used a pyramid
in a very long time.  But apart from strchr() and strrchr() (which were
just index & rindex renamed) the other mem*() functions in BSD were
all written from scratch, so the sources of them should be able to
be made available, and freely copied, should you want to add them to
your BSD universe library.  If you need strchr() (etc), you can use the
-Dstrchr=index trick.

kre