Locking or wiring a process in memory.

Eric Bergan eric at pyramid.pyramid.com
Tue Jan 22 04:55:50 AEST 1991

In article <2988 at esquire.dpw.com> sullivan at DPW.COM (David J. Sullivan) writes:
>With OSx 5.0 and above the `launchit' utility is a handy way to give
>server processes nice characteristics -- more file descriptors,
>unlimited forks, locking them to a CPU.
>
>Is there a way to lock a process in memory so that it is never swapped
>or paged out?
>
>I'd like to have my Sybase dataserver stay in main memory forever.  I
>don't need it to be bound to a CPU, but wouldn't be adverse to doing that
>if it has the side effect of keeping it resident.

	If you are using aio with Sybase (and you definitely should be),
then the bulk of your memory is already locked down. The aio implementation
requires that any memory that may be used as an aio buffer area be
locked into memory, so it doesn't have to worry about paging. In the
case of Sybase, these means all the buffer area gets locked down.

	There is still some chance of paging of other memory (the text,
for instance), but the odds are pretty low. The buffer area is typically
the largest part of the memory usage by an order of magnitude.

--

					eric
					...!pyramid!eric