videotaping from the iris

D. Christopher Dunlap dunlap at bombadl.SGI.COM
Tue Nov 8 04:37:29 AEST 1988

In article <1173 at client2.dciem.dnd.ca>, king at client2.dciem.dnd.ca (Stephen King) writes:
> In article <8811020355.aa14353 at SPARK.BRL.MIL> phil at BRL.MIL (Phil Dykstra) writes:
> > [...] You get the lower left hand corner of the screen
> >(~640x480 pixels).
>
> I must confess, I am somewhat confused by this. Admittedly, we have not run
> our IRIS at NTSC rates for some time, but I am sure that such S/W as the
> ARCH demo produced a full screen. Could it depend on the model ? (ours is
> an old 2400)
>
> --
>   {utzoo|mnetor}!dciem!zorac!dretor!king  or  king%dretor at zorac.dciem.dnd.ca
>   Stephen J King   =-=   DCIEM Human Factors Division   =-=   (416) 635-2149

It's the software. Has to do with the projection of the 3D objects
onto the screen space. If you only switch to NTSC, then you get the
"lower-third-of-the-screen" phenomenon. If you do a complete job with
the software, then you get a correct image, just lower resolution.
I'll have one of the Graphoids post a followup with more detail.

chris

D. Christopher Dunlap

Hardware Product Support
Silicon Graphics