4Dxx, 4DxxG and 4DxxGT Power requirements

D. Christopher Dunlap dunlap at bombadl.SGI.COM
Fri Nov 18 03:35:12 AEST 1988

A couple weeks ago I posted a question to the net:

>In ASDBT (Advanced Systems Division Business Team) yesterday, we were
>talking about a project that we're trying to prioritize, and decided
>that we'd ask the net about it.

>It is possible for us to make the 4D/xx and 4D/xxGT systems (but NOT
>the Power Series) run out of a regular 15Amp circuit. This would save
>everyone from having to get special 20Amp outlets installed for their
>workstations. It is certainly a nice thing to be able to do, but it's
>not really clear to us how big an issue it is with people. We haven't
>had a lot of feedback so far, and we're trying to prioritize this
>against other projects like bigger disks, bigger tapes, new video
>standards, etc.

>What do you all think? Is the 20Amp circuits a real hassle, or would
>you rather have us spend our time on other things...

Well, I got 5 people saying the 20Amp plug is a pain, and 5 people
saying that they'd rather see us spending our time on other things
(with a wish-list attached of course... :-} ).

Of the 5 people that said that the 20Amp was a pain, three said they
were surprised by the requirement. I had heard this before. The
Regional Sales Managers are being notified of this feedback so they
can pass it on to the Sales Reps and SEs.

The wish-lists are too much to go into here, but if you gave me some
input, be sure that we're following up on it. It's just going to be a
little time - many of them require a decision from the marketing group
for the division affected by the request. I'll be getting back to each
of you within the next couple of weeks. Some things that were requested
more than once may get me to make a posting to the net.

As far as the 20amp to 15 amp change goes, it's still on the list, but
it's down on the priority chain a little ways; behind bigger disks,
bigger tapes, and things like that.

Thanks for the input, it's been successful enough that you can be sure
that there will be similar requests from us in the future. If you have
a question about something, or think that you mail to me didn't get
through, just try again. This WAS the "time of the virus" you know.

later,

chris

D. Christopher Dunlap			email: dunlap at sgi.sgi.com

Hardware Product Support