What is the real Speed of a 4D/240 ?

Thant Tessman thant at horus.SGI.COM
Fri Apr 28 04:05:59 AEST 1989

In article <139 at VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU>, tim at VAX1.CC.UAKRON.EDU (Timothy H Smith) writes:
> We have just obtained a 4D/240 and are using it for scaler
> floating point operations.  We do not need a vector machine.
[stuff deleted]
> Also when the machine is running some reasable jobs the interactive
> response goes to nothing.  I mean 5 minutes for a ls.
> I know the machine need more memory, but I don't expect this.
[stuff deleted]

> Our machine is a 4D/240S with 16meg of memory.

I once worked with a 4D/120 with 8 meg.  It was next to useless.  I don't
think they should sell them like that (with that little memory).

You have twice as much memory but you also have twice as many processors.
Run gr_osview to see if it is spending all its time swapping.

The compilers are from MIPS and are generally considered excelent.
If you really are getting different answeres with optimised versus
non-optimised code, you should report it to the hotline as a bug.
(Narrow it down and post it to the net?)

> 				thanks,
>
> 				tim at vax1.cc.uakron.edu
>
> *** my comments are mine and do not reflect my orginization ***

ditto

thant at sgi.com