Experiences with 4D/2xx as timesharing systems?

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.SGI.COM
Mon Apr 17 11:18:49 AEST 1989

In article <538 at voodoo.UUCP>, zombie at voodoo.UUCP (Mike York) writes:
> In article <8904111520.AA05578 at adt.uucp> madd at adt.UUCP (jim frost) writes:
> >Our biggest complaint about SGI performance is that it degrades
> >substantially over time.  I'm fairly certain that this is a VM problem
> >since it happens with every large application I've run, including some
> >which have pretty clean usage and do *not* have this problem under 4.3
> >BSD.  The system returns to its former spunkiness after reboot.  I
> >might expect that it's related to 4Sight except that logout/login
> >doesn't correct the problem.
>
> We saw this problem with 3.0 on a 4D/70GT, but haven't noticed it since
> we've upgraded to 3.1.  As I recall, SGI told us the problem was due to
> 4Sight and that rebooting *was* the only work around.
>
> Now, if SGI could only speed up picking on the 70GT to be as fast as
> picking on the 4D/20...

If 4Sight was the problem (and it was a problem on early versions of 3.0
due to memory leaks) it would be cleared up by logging out and
logging in again.  If a reboot was necessary something else was (is?)
wrong.
--
	-Mark