termcap for Silicon Graphics 4D console

Archer Sully archer at elysium.SGI.COM
Wed Apr 19 09:58:48 AEST 1989

In article <243 at shrike.AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM>, aihaug at AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Daniel A Haug) writes:
> I am looking for a termcap entry for the Silicon Graphics 4D console.
> In system V on the SG, this is denoted in terminfo by "iris-ansi".
> However, I need a termcap entry for this for BSD4.3.  Has anyone
> done this.
>
> Alternatively, has anyone every developed a terminfo to termcap
> translator?
>
> dan haug
> Internet: haug at austin.lockheed.com
> uucp:     ut-emx!lad-shrike!aihaug

when logged into the SGI machine, do this from the shell:

infocmp -C iris-ansi >> iris.termcap

This will put the iris-ansi termcap into a file called iris.termcap.
You can repeat the process for all of the possible iris terminal types.
Currently these are:

iris
iris-ansi
iris-ansi-24
iris-ansi-24-net
iris-ansi-66
iris-ansi-66-net
iris-ansi-net
iris-tp
iris40

you can put them all in one file, and then append the file to the
termcap file on your bsd machine.  You can also put the file somewhere
in your home directory, and then set the TERMCAP environment variable
to that file.  This makes the termcap library look in your private
file rather than /etc/termcap.  For example:

rcp iris:iris.termcap ~
setenv TERMCAP ~/iris.termcap

the setenv could go into your .cshrc, probably based on whether or not
$TERM is an iris type terminal.  you can check this with a regular
expression match like :

if ( "$TERM" !~ "iris.*" ) then
    setenv TERMCAP ~/iris.termcap
endif