Experiences with 4D/2xx as timesharing systems?

Phil Dykstra phil at BRL.MIL
Tue Apr 11 01:51:01 AEST 1989

> Because if one ignores the graphics then the boxes become a competitive
> hardware platform for general purpose computing.

Yes, even if you totally ignore the graphics, the CPU power per dollar
in the SGI's is still impressive.

W.r.t. BSD Unix on SGI machines, I agree that this would sure be nice!
I despise SysV.  I think our hope of liberation will come with R4, which
will finally make System V a usable OS [By then of course 4.4 BSD will
be out and SysV will have to play catch up again, but it will still be
a major improvement].

- Phil