Memory upgrades for 4D's

Darrell Davis davis at blake.acs.washington.edu
Sat Apr 29 05:40:15 AEST 1989

In article <8003 at phoenix.Princeton.EDU> zanetti at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Gianluigi Zanetti) writes:
>We have several Iris 4D 20's and a 4D70 and they all want to have
>their memory upgraded, but SGI wants lots and lots of money to do it.
>
>The memory seems to be in the form of 1Meg simms.  What is the preferred
>style?  How fast do they have to be?  The reason I ask is that if we could
>use mass market simms they would be at least half the price.
>
>Thanks in advance

We recently bought several IRIS 4D 20's with 8 meg of memory and then upgraded
them to 16 meg ourselves.  SGI wanted about $ 1200  a meg for memory and we
paid $ 310 a meg on the open market.  We just specified 1 meg SIMMS, 100 nsec,
and didn't have any trouble, they are quite easy to install, and you could
probably coerce your local SGI person to help you out.  We bought our memory
from an place called "Sophisticated Circuits" here in Seattle, their phone
number is: (206) 547-4779.  My impression is that the price has come down
some from this figure.