VMS utilities

Renu Raman ram at shukra.Sun.COM
Sat Apr 8 09:53:58 AEST 1989

In article <745 at key.COM> sjc at key.COM (Steve Correll) writes:
>In article <8904051044.aa10317 at SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, JORDAN at gmr.COM writes:
>> VMS has a console handler that allows one to edit previous commands by
>> using the up arrow key.  For me, this is far superior than the history
>> commands used in UNIX.  Has anyone out there written any routines out
>> there to emulate this on a UNIX system?
>
>MIPS systems have an optional emacs-like line editor built into both "csh" and
>"dbx"; it has roughly the same functionality as the VMS handler, but uses
>control-characters rather than the arrow keys (unfortunately, though you can
>customize it to use the control-keys of your choice, you can't make it use the
>arrow keys).
>
>The SGI Irises based on the MIPS CPU lack this useful feature (though the SGI
>"dbx" manual even mentions it briefly). Is somebody at SGI listening who might
>have mercy on us fumble-fingered users who dislike cardpunch-style editing
>with "!" and "^"?
>--
>...{sun,pyramid}!pacbell!key!sjc 				Steve Correll

   If you have the csh sources, then get the tcsh sources (which are basically
   diffs to csh + some code) from the comp.sources archive and you can
   get the functionality of the emacs like editor, including arrow keys -
   atleast its possible on vtxxx terminals as well on my Sun console).
   It has more bells & whistles like command search, file/command completions,
   man page lookups, command spelling correction.........list goes on.

   Renu Raman