Experiences with 4D/2xx as timesharing systems?

Rayan Zachariassen rayan at AI.TORONTO.EDU
Mon Apr 10 23:27:16 AEST 1989

Because if one ignores the graphics then the boxes become a competitive
hardware platform for general purpose computing.  SGI keeps thinking of
themselves as a graphics company (at least that's the reaction we get from
high-ups when they see our lack of interest in the graphics).  This is a
pity because with the right OS they could make a killing in our kind of
market.  To answer your second question, UNIX is indeed the right OS, but
System V in particular is NOT.  If (say) a multiprocessor 4.3+BSD ran on
the 4Ds and competitive hardware price was maintained, they'd be the only
game in town for us.  We even frown on berkeleyized SV because the admin
stuff is different, but I guess we can live with it if we have to.  If there
is a future 4BSD-mips release, I'd love to see a port to the 4D platform.

rayan