Fujitsu M2249E (hard disk) in an IRIS 3130

Mark Bradley markb at denali.SGI.COM
Tue Feb 7 05:30:34 AEST 1989

In article <8902022347.AA03651 at aero4.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates at AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) writes:

>    I was told that SGI uses Hitatchi DK 514-380, Winchesters, and
> MaxTor XT4380E 380Mb drives for the 3130.  I was also told that
> they are the standard units made by the manufacturer.  Nothing
> special, just pull out the old 170Mb drive and replace it with
> a 380Mb drive.  Why does SGI up the price on these drives 100%?
> The Micropolis wasn't even mentioned.  Does a "semi-custom" version
> of the disk have to cost twice a standard version.  What is going
> on here?  Do the Hitatchi, Winchesters, and MaxTor drives work in
> a 3130 or not?
> --
>
> 	Brent L. Bates
> 	NASA-Langley Research Center
> 	M.S. 294
> 	Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
> 	(804) 864-2854
> 	E-mail: blbates at aero4.larc.nasa.gov or blbates at aero2.larc.nasa.gov

All of the disk drives that SGI sells are winchesters (named after an old
IBM code name, I'm told).  SGI does not currently support any Maxtor drives.
ONLY the SGI version of the Micropolis 1558-15 works in the 3130.  NO OTHER
380's are supported by SGI on the 3130.

					markb

--
Mark Bradley				"Faster, faster, until the thrill of
IO Subsystems				 speed overcomes the fear of death."