include file wrong

Archer Sully archer at elysium.SGI.COM
Thu Feb 23 04:47:04 AEST 1989

In article <764 at cs-spool.calgary.UUCP>, paquette at cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Trevor Paquette) writes:

>    I was working on a program that needs to read/write XDR format
> files, and I came across a system include file that was wrong.
> In "/usr/include/rpc/rpc.h" it says around line 15 that it wants
> to include <netinet/in.h>.. which as the compiler will complain
> about, DOES NOT EXIST.. at least at that path name.. the
> path of the include file that it wants is actually
> "/usr/include/bsd/netinet/in.h".. two possible simple fixes..
> make a sybolic link to /usr/include/bsd/netinet in /usr/include,
> or go in and change <netinet/in.h> to <bsd/netinet/in.h>.
>  I think that the first fix is probably more reasonable..
> Hope this is fixed for the next release..

The intro man page on using bsd extensions (ie, TCP/IP) states that
when compiling such programs you should use the command line option
-I/usr/include/bsd when compiling.  This extends the search path for
include files to the bsd subtree.  Try 'man 3 intro' for more information.
It is the last page that comes up.

Regards

Archer Sully
archer at sgi.com