How to Access Fonts

Gary Tarolli tarolli at dragon.SGI.COM
Fri Feb 17 02:24:43 AEST 1989

In article <2633 at eos.UUCP>, timelord at eos (G. Murdock Helms) writes:
> I'm tinkering with some graphics code (just finished the class two
> weeks ago), and am interested in finding out what type of fonts are
> already defined and known to our 4D70GTX.
>
> Knowing that font 0 is the default font, I tried font(1); and font(2);
> which produced a font that looks identical to font(0); but also
> produced the error message
> ERROR #92 font : ERR_NOFONTFOUND
>
> (sigh)  Can anybody tell me what I missed and how to access other fonts?
> It'd be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Murdock

	sorry to say that when the GL starts up (ginit, winopen, etc...)
it only knows about font 0 which is the default font.
To use any other fonts you must first define them with defrasterfont.

However, we now have a fontmanager library which can access the fonts that
come with 4Sight (/usr/lib/fmfonts).  See the 4Sight manual (fontmanager
chapter) for more details on the routines to access these fonts - there
are new non-GL routines for accessing fonts and displaying character
strings (and even changing points sizes!)