More Iris questions

Michael Gleicher gleicher at b.gp.cs.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 24 01:49:19 AEST 1989

Some more Iris questions:

1) Is there a way to ring the bell from postscript?

2) Is there any documentation on the audio I/O capabilties of the Personal
	Iris? I know it has a D/A converter, and I think it has an A/D
	converter.
	Does anyone have some code to send some data (a sampled sound or
	waveform) to the speaker or to the audio out jack?

3) Is there an equivalent to the BSD "Load average"?
	Can I get at this number from a C program?

4) The "gr_osview" program displays statistics like %cpu idle, %memory free,
	%time waiting. Is there a way I can get at these numbers from a
	C program so I can display them in a more convenient fashion?

5) Does anyone have some postscript code for a Mail Biff program?
	right now I just have the Vax (my mail machine) do something silly
	like "x y (You Have Mail) popmsg\n" (it's not pretty but it works)
   Before I go re-inventing the wheel, does anyone already have something
	to do this nicer (eg draw an xbiff like mailbox with a flag on it)
   	(Yes I know I can run xbiff, but I prefer not to have to start up an
	xsevrer all the time)

Thanks for the help,
	Mike

Michael Lee Gleicher				gleicher at cs.cmu.edu
Computer Graphics & Animation, School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890

Michael Lee Gleicher				gleicher at cs.cmu.edu