Personal IRIS benchmarks

Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601 blbates at AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV
Thu Feb 9 23:17:57 AEST 1989

     I would say there are a number of possibilities:

     1. SGI sets up some test cases that give the best possible
        results. (Most companies do)

     2. MIPS gave it some extremely difficult test cases.

     3. MIPS did not code up the test cases in an optimal fashion.
        (i.e. poor programming)

     4. All or part of the above.

   Personally I don't trust ANY companies computer specs.  If I can
put one of my own programs on the machine and can see how fast it
works, then I can be convinced on how good the machine is.  Different
people use the machines in different ways, so they may get different
performance results. It all depends on what you are looking for.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center
	E-mail: blbates at aero4.larc.nasa.gov or blbates at aero2.larc.nasa.gov