Fujitsu M2249E (hard disk) in an IRIS 3130

Jim Barton jmb at patton.SGI.COM
Sat Feb 4 03:03:14 AEST 1989

In article <8902022347.AA03651 at aero4.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates at AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV (Bates TAD/HRNAB ms294 x2601) writes:

>    I was told that SGI uses Hitatchi DK 514-380, Winchesters, and
> MaxTor XT4380E 380Mb drives for the 3130.  I was also told that
> they are the standard units made by the manufacturer.  Nothing
> special, just pull out the old 170Mb drive and replace it with
> a 380Mb drive.  Why does SGI up the price on these drives 100%?
> The Micropolis wasn't even mentioned.  Does a "semi-custom" version
> of the disk have to cost twice a standard version.  What is going
> on here?  Do the Hitatchi, Winchesters, and MaxTor drives work in
> a 3130 or not?
> --
>
> 	Brent L. Bates
> 	NASA-Langley Research Center
> 	M.S. 294
> 	Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
> 	(804) 864-2854
> 	E-mail: blbates at aero4.larc.nasa.gov or blbates at aero2.larc.nasa.gov

The price goes up for several reasons:

	1) We have to make some profit.  The disk manufacturer doesn't
	   give us disks for free, you know.

	2) We garuntee that the disks we ship work.  This involves
	   software, such as drivers, formatters, test programs, etc.
	   Software is not cheap (as you no doubt know).

	3) When we ship a drive, we test it, format it and generally
	   make sure you get something that will work.

	4) We have to train the FE's to test and replace in the field,
	   the SE's to know what to do with it, the purchasing people
	   to buy it, the manufacturing people to test and package it
	   and others.

Like the old story goes, if you want it to work, call us.  If you wish
to take your chances, buy it cheap, but don't call the Hotline when
it breaks.

-- Jim Barton
Silicon Graphics Computing Systems    "UNIX: Live Free Or Die!"
jmb at sgi.sgi.com, sgi!jmb at decwrl.dec.com, ...{decwrl,sun}!sgi!jmb

  "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
			- Elvis Costello, 'Red Shoes'