flight's concept of a 'good landing'

jim frost madd at adt.UUCP
Sat Feb 18 06:38:59 AEST 1989

>Or flying through all four buildings in one pass.

Or taking off across the runway and turning inside the tower flying an
f15 or f16.  It's pretty easy with the f16 but the f15 doesn't perform
quite so well.  I also like to do 8g turns at below 100ft immediately
after take-off, or to lift and immediately go into a roll.  Looks
impressive in airshows!

>Do you folks all still use sidewinders and rockets? Try flying with
>cannons only, and no "head-ons".

We're not to that stage yet, although it's pretty easy to avoid
sidewinders and missiles if you know they're there (ie you're watching
your radar).  One of my co-workers actually managed to shoot down an
f15 with a 747 in real combat -- quite an achievement considering the
pilot of the f15 was using missiles.

I wonder just how much CPU power goes into flight compared to other
applications for the SGI.... :-)

BTW, has anyone given though to building real controls?  Even a
joystick and peddles (no throttles, etc) would be a godsend.  It took
me several days to get the hang of turning with a mouse and it still
doesn't feel right.

jim frost
madd at bu-it.bu.edu