Permissive Permissions

Tony Facca fsfacca at LERC08.NAS.NASA.GOV
Thu May 11 01:50:14 AEST 1989

>>     I fail to see what the problem is?  / has world-writable, so what?!
>> I would be concerned if it didn't.

I suppose its just a matter of personal preference.  Some folks set the
default permissions on the user's directory to 700 so that users can't go
snooping aroung in each others directories.  Personally, I think 755 is fine.
If I have sensitive data I can explicity set the permissions.

However, by default, 777 on root??  / is no place for novice user's to have
write permission.  Moreover, if / is writeable by anybody, why even bother
with a /tmp?  I don't know, it just doesn't *smell* right.  I'd have to agree
with the original poster "Not Funny".
Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca at lerc08.nas.nasa.gov