Network security violation

Tony Facca fsfacca at LERC08.NAS.NASA.GOV
Thu May 18 23:03:25 AEST 1989

Network security violation errors come from the window manager when it is
trying to start the tools and console and cannot access the network.  This
problem most frequently occurs when you botch up the /etc/hosts table.  I
can't be sure which part of the table it is, but, having botched up enough
host tables, I usually check the loopback entry (make sure there is one),
and also check the /etc/sys_id against the system name in the hosts table.
for example, if you call  your host  "earth", then your network address
should be something like:

	128.100.100.1 earth.blah.blah.blah earth

however, if your entry is like:

	128.100.100.1 venus.blah.blah.blah earth

you'll get those violations.  I'm guessing here, but I believe the system
only looks at the first field in the domain name, and compares it against
the sys_id.  If the don't match, as in the second example, you get the
violation.

The "fix/workaround" would be to make sure the sys_id and the first part
of the name in the /etc/hosts table are the same.  "earth == earth, but
earth != venus"  --good luck.

Tony Facca                     |     phone: 216-433-8318
NASA Lewis Research Center     |
Cleveland, Ohio  44135         |     email: fsfacca at lerc08.nas.nasa.gov