wsh questions

Rod Paul rpaul at dasys1.UUCP
Tue May 16 14:12:30 AEST 1989

So anybody noticed that when you log onto a graphics console under 4sight the
baud rate (type stty) is 9600?

When you invoke "wsh" and type "stty" the baud is shown as 34000. Hmmm what's
going on here?

/etc/gl/startconsole? calls wsh for the console window. Ok, so if stty says
my console window is running at 9600baud, I must be able to change my other
wsh's right? So I'll type "stty 300" which I understand to mean will reset
my baud. stty now reports my speed to be 300, but it obviously isn't, I
expect that the console window isn't running 9600 baud either.

Why all the messing with baud rates? Well on my 4D/70G's I have no problem
"rlogin"g onto my CS12, I can edit with "vi" fine with 66x80 wsh windows.

Now, if I rlogin from my Personal (this puppy's got 16M real) to the server
with large or small windows, there's often one hell of a delay on refreshing
the window in "vi". Sometimes I can be moving the cursor up several lines
before it gets refreshed. This is at the pace of a two-finger typist (notice
that's not two-fingered).

Allright, so maybe the news_server's got something to do with the stty thing,
perhaps the smaller cache sizes on the IP6 add more to the mystery... but
anybody out there having simmilar problems? Can anybody offer a solution?

All of my machines are configured pretty much the same as far as my network
is concerned, and the only machine that ain't a 4D is an Abekas A60.

Appreciate responses...

--
Rodian Paul				|
Big Electric Cat Public UNIX		|	Just say YES to UII !