disk for 2400T

Lloyd J. Lacomb lacomb at SIERRA.STANFORD.EDU
Fri May 5 06:43:10 AEST 1989

I'm having a little bit of a problem.  Yesterday, someone came to me telling
me that their one of the disks on their 2400T crashed.  Sure enough the
disk was getting power but it just wasn't turning.  Most of the information
is backed up so not much will be lost if we can put a new disk in.  The
problem is that even with the new prices on the 72 Mb disks from SGI, the
paper work to get one would take a least a month which won't help if something
is due in a week.  What I thought might be possible was to take
another ESDI 72 Mb drive from a PC in the lab and try to use that disk
to replace the dead one in the IRIS.  After getting all the hardware
hooked up, I booted the system and the controller (or something)
doesn't seem to recognize the second drive at all. It says something
like:

md0 Priam v170 and some more numbers (even though the drive says it's
made by Vertex)
md1 not installed (not sure about the wording)

Nothing I've tried: mdfex(which doesn't seem to be documented
anywhere,) mkfs, sgilabel, ... seems to work,  All return some
message about drive not found.  The controller is an old one designed
to handle only 72 Mb drives but I can't figure out what I need to do
to get the system to find or recognize the drive.

When I installed my disk, sent from SGI, I don't remember having similar
problems, but that may be because they've already done something to
the disk so the controller will recognize them.  Does anyone out
there know the procedure(I imagine some procedure must exist) for
installing a disk on a 2400T.

Thanks
Lloyd LaComb
lacomb at sierra.stanford.edu (Internet, bitnet)