Screen Dump.

John H Merritt merritt at iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov
Sat May 6 04:40:51 AEST 1989

In article <8209 at pucc.Princeton.EDU> DMLAUR at pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
>In article <8905030950.aa10952 at SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, swenson at NUSC-WPN.ARPA writes:
>
>>        I would like to perform a screen dump from a 4D-60T to a file in
>>PostScript format to be sent to an Apple (alias Sun) LaserWriter printer.
>>I would like at least 16 (probably dithered) grey levels and the option to
>

>If you get the  "Laser Printer Software Option" and the Transcript
>package (from AT&T via SGI), then you can print IRIS/4D screendumps
>directly to a PostScript printer using "lp".

If you want something for FREE you can anonymous ftp something called
'topost' from my machine (iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov). It converts b/w images
to postscript which you can send directly to the printer. Usage:
     scrsave rgb x1 x2 y1 y2      -- user command
     tobw rgb bw                  -- user command
     topost bw bw.ps              -- code I wrote (16 shades)

>Be prepared, however, to wait a while for full screen dumps to print.
>The PostScript code generated by "pprint" uses the native PS operator
>"image" which converts grey level values in the range 0-255 into
>dithered/scaled/translated bitmaps (0/1) **in the printer**.  This
>compute intensive operation combined with the data transfer time
>for a 1280x1024 image can result in print times of 20-50 minutes!
>(on an Apple LaserWriter Plus).

I have not had times this slow (maybe 5 to 20 minutes!)