Another Backup Tool

Patrick Wolfe pwolfe at kailand.kai.com
Fri May 26 22:21:50 AEST 1989

> /* Written by jmb at sgi.UUCP in kailand:kai.sgi */
> In case anyone is interested, I have ported 'pax', the portable super-duper
> understand everything, generate everything replacement for tar and cpio.

What features does PAX support?

The features of GNU tar that I use (and need) are:
	- multi volume support (asks for new tape when EOV reached)
	- remote tape drive support (we have two tape drives for five systems)
	- option to read list of files to dump from a file or stdin
	- option to specify a file containing regular expression patterns to
	  ignore (ex:  "*.o", "/tmp/*")
	- option to stay in one file system (required for dumping "/" without
	  getting every NFS mounted file system)
	- option to create (non-standard) internal volume labels, so when I
	  forget to label a tape, I can mount it, do a "gtar -tv" and find out
	  what's on it.

I don't care whether I use dump, tar or cpio format, just as long as daily
and weekly incremental backups are as painless and quick as possible.