SGI licencing of X windows

Mark Callow msc at ramoth.SGI.COM
Sat May 6 06:53:50 AEST 1989

In article <237 at noether.UUCP>, rosalia at noether.UUCP (Mark Galassi) writes:
> I found out that Silicon Graphics gives you the distribution of X
> windows for free, but charges you a certain monthly amount (in our
> case $15/month).

As far as I know the $15 is for support.

> Here is what I was wondering:
>
> 1. can one get the tape and not the support, thus not having access
>    to the hotline etc?
Ask your salesman or customer support.

> OR
>
> 2. does the X distribution from MIT have the drivers and other
>    special things for the personal IRIS?
Yes and no.  The X distribution has a verson of the drivers for SGI.  However
the product quality X we are on the verge of releasing (in Irix 4D1-3.1G)
is very different and very much superior.  We have put a lot of work into
it and it runs anywhere from 5 to 100 times faster than the stuff we
contributed to the MIT tape last November.  It also has several hundred
official patches and other bug fixes.

--
	-Mark