windows

David F. Rogers dfr at CAD.USNA.MIL
Wed May 17 23:42:10 AEST 1989

G'day Mark,

I may even antedate you with SGI. As I recall the first 2400 that I bought
did not have a window manager at all, i.e., no mex.

Since I have raised the question, what does not someone at SGI sit down
and provide a concise, definitive answer to:

1. how much memory does the current window manager system use -- say with
one window. How much additional memory for each additional window?

2. How much cpu power does the window manager absorb -- say with one window.
How much for each additional window or task, e.g. mouse input, keyboard input,
etc.

3. How can you absolutely minimize the effect of the window manager?

The thing that really concerns me here is that I demonstrated that the
new machine was not VISUALLY as fast as a 2400T. In real time interactive
systems it is VISUALLY that counts.

Professor David F. Rogers
Aerospace Engineering Department
U.S. Naval Academy